Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I'm a Wimp!

I just have to give some accolades to all single moms and dads, and anyone who has a spouse deployed or one that works and is gone a lot.  Here's why, and it starts with a run-down of my day:

6:00 a.m.  - Alarm goes off, and I hit the snooze button a few times, then realize Bruce is up doing his 10-minute workout that he does every morning (he's so disciplined).  I know that I should probably get out of bed, and then the idea comes that if I beat him into the shower, I won't have to squeegee it afterwards (Rule in our house - last person in our shower has to squeegee the water off the tile).

6:40 a.m. - Toby is awake already.  That kid can go to bed at midnight and still wake up around 6:00 a.m. I get him up early to see if we can manage to do a mock run-through of what school will be like tomorrow. He takes FOR--EHHH-VER to eat breakfast, especially because we're including solid foods in his diet now, and every meal is a struggle.

7:00 a.m. - I've eaten breakfast, and am working on cutting up vegetables to get dinner for our neighbors in the crockpot - they just had a new baby (insert "ooohs and aahhhs")!

8:00 a.m. - All the kids are up; Toby is back with his nurse getting ready, having managed to eat breakfast a little faster this morning.  I'm frantically trying to finish the dinner so we can get out the door at 8:15 a.m. Toby has an ENT appointment at NCH (downtown) this morning.

8:50 a.m. - We arrive at the hospital, having managed to arrive about 25 minutes early for his appointment. Why so early you ask?  I wanted to get Conor, Garrett, and Caris into the sibling clubhouse, which is now located at the opposite end of the hospital from our appointment.  Because the handicap lot still has free parking and is closer to the appointment; we opt to park there, walk the distance and manage to get the kids in right away - then trek back to the other end for the appointment.

9:45 a.m. - Toby's appointment went well.  It was a follow up after his bronchoscopy and ear tube removal. She opts for a hearing test because he hasn't had one since infancy.  He passes with flying colors.  I joke with our nurse that "at least something on Toby works the way it's supposed to."  In this journey, we have to keep our sense of humor.

10:08 a.m. - I manage to make it back to the sibling clubhouse before the allotted pick-up time of 10:30 a.m., and we head home without traffic to run a few errands.

In order to not put anyone to sleep that is reading this - the rest of our day consisted of: a few more errands, a text from a friend to meet up for lunch - hey why not?  I'm always up for Chick-Fil-A.  Caris down for a nap; reorganize Toby's medical supplies and update his medical history; make some phone calls for some volunteer work; finish dinner for our neighbor and deliver; hold the sweetest newborn baby girl; hurry home to eat the other half of dinner and then rush all four kids in the van only to arrive late for Garrett's soccer practice once again (I didn't use to be late all the time).  Caris, Toby, Conor, and I played in the park during practice, and by 7:45 p.m. we are headed home.  At this time Conor is in tears with a headache that we can't figure out the origin of, and then has chills. I sent him to bed while I get Toby ready for his hour long bowel clean-out process, then realize that Conor is probably having side effects from the flu-mist vaccine he received on Monday - FABULOUS!  We skype with Grandma and Grandpa while Toby is on the potty (no shame here) and Garrett manages to help Caris wash her feet, get her a snack, and read her a story.  He always steps up to the plate when I need him and Conor is MIA.  At 10:04 p.m., Bruce arrives with a peace offering (caramel sundae) because he has been gone since 7:00 a.m. this morning, and knows that I struggle through days like this when he's not home in the evening to run one-on-two defense with the kids vs. one-on-four like tonight.

I cringe every time he calls me to let me know that he has a late appointment or meeting, especially the nights we don't have a nurse in the evenings to help with Toby.  It's rough - and I realize a few things:  a)I'm thankful for my husband, and pray for those that do this parenting thing alone for whatever reason, and b) I'll readily admit that I'm a wimp - and have a hard time surviving without my other half, so I'm thankful he has the job he does, and the next time he tells me he has another late meeting I'll try not to complain as much!

....By the way, did I mention my sweet Toby is starting kindergarten tomorrow? Boo - hoo!

1 comment:

  1. and, to think, some people thing being a stay-at-home mom actually means being at home. pfsh! or, that being a stay-at-home mom is boring. when, my friend, was the last time you had time to actually be bored?!

    you've had a crazy busy day, there is no denying that. but you've filled it with things that are meaningful and important to your kids and things that God has asked of you. and that, THAT is a job well done.

    and you're so right: a spouse plays a critical role in making home life happen with sanity. i'm thankful your man loves you and is sensitive to what you need... ice cream is always a win. :)

    ReplyDelete