Sunday, November 4, 2007

Rolling Over and Myelo Clinic

His clinic appointment went pretty well. The doctors, Physical Therapist and Occupational Therapist were commenting at how big he is and amazed at his progress holding up his head, etc. The most questions we had were for seating and mobility...what might be the next step as he gets bigger? Thankfully our home PT came with us and was able to ask a lot of questions about some of the devices we are using to get him to sit up and also to straighten his legs to stand. The Physical Medicine Doctor who prescribes wheelchairs, braces and such said his feet still look great, which means he won't need any AFO's yet (Ankle & Foot Orthotics) and the PT at clinic also said that braces would weigh his legs down, so we will wait on this. To be completely honest meeting with the Physical Medicine doctor wasn't encouraging. She mentioned how as Toby gets older he may not have the mental capacity to use a self-propelled wheelchair, etc. Of course she doesn't know Toby like we do, but after we left, I was analyzing every move he made trying to see if he's going to grow up and not be able to communicate with us or have major mental difficulties. I know that many of our dear friends deal with this every day, and I know that God will give us the grace to handle this too, but right now I just don't know if I can handle that. God asked me once again to trust HIM and reminded me to take it one day at a time! Toby also had a renal ultrasound and we will see the urologist in a week and a half for a follow-up appointment.
On a happier note this weekend my grandparents (My moms' parents) came for a visit. We had a wonderful time. AND on Saturday, I had Toby propped on his tummy propped up on a rolled blanket. We were in the kitchen cooking dinner and then I look and see that Toby is initiating rolling over ALL BY HIMSELF. I went in and unhooked his ventilator, which was getting in the way, and there he went. HE ROLLED OVER! Then he did it 3 more times. Each time I needed to be the motivation to roll the rest of the way, but I didn't have to help him, I just had to be something to look at.
Lastly, I posted some new photos of Toby in his costume and the boys. Conor was Sully and Garrett was Mike from Monsters Inc. The boys had fun trick-or-treating with Grandma and Grandpa Holt.

No comments:

Post a Comment