Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos - that is the story of our lives.  I have come to grips with the fact that having four kids and one with special needs means chaos, and that's what our past weekend was like. 

It consisted of two baseball practices (Conor and Garrett), one t-ball game (Toby), one Cubbie picnic, and a Crew Game. In the middle of all of that, I spoke at an event on behalf of Nationwide Children's Hospital - sharing our story of Toby and what the hospital has meant to us. It was for a group that raises money for the hospital.  In the middle of all the chaos, I have asked myself is it worth it?  Yes, yes, and yes; I certainly am determined not to over-schedule our kids, and really they are only involved in a few sports a year, but it's important to me for Conor, Garrett, and eventually Caris to not feel as if Toby prevents them from doing certain things; yes it will happen in some cases.  Like, I still haven't completely gotten over the fact that we may never be able to go camping again or spend days and days on the beach (with Toby's trach)...so that's when opportunities arise for the kids to participate in other activities we do it and try to schedule the chaos!

Toby started playing t-ball this season. 
He's playing in a league specifically
designed for kids with special needs. 
I love this photo of his hand over
his heart and his hat off for the
National Anthem. 














No comments:

Post a Comment