Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Columbus Marathon

October 21st was a big day for Toby and our family.  This year the Columbus Marathon/Half-Marathon named Nationwide Children's Hospital as the beneficiary of the race.  It coincided with the opening of the new hospital, and for each mile there was a patient representative that cheered on the runners and raised money for the hospital.  Toby was chosen to be Miracle Mile Patient #7.

Last October was my first time running a half-marathon.  I have been running since 8th grade track, and I really do enjoy the long distances.  Over the years I've done a few 10-milers, a 30K (which is 18.6 miles), and then finally a half-marathon.  I chose to run last year for many reasons, but one of the biggest was to raise money for Momentium.  All the money raised goes to support crisis pregnancy centers in the area in which you live, supporting women and men to choose life when faced with an unexpected pregnancy.   The great thing about Momentium is any one can run/walk a race in any state, at any time and set up a fundraising page to raise money for their local crisis pregnancy centers.  It's an amazing program!

Even before we knew about the NCH Marathon this year, I had chosen to train to run it again and raise money again for Momentium.  Then, they approached us about Toby being a Miracle Mile Patient, and the race took on another special meaning for us.

My family came into town for the race, and we invited everyone to come join Toby to cheer on the runners.  His mile was decorated in green with t-shirts and lots of signs.  Toby's shirts said:
"Where There's a Wheel, There's a Way"
Toby's Warriors (Phil 4:13)
(On the left is Toby's teacher's aid at school - Kim!)
I heard this quote at the National Spina Bifida conference this year and knew it should be the theme for the race.  We also added "Phil. 4:13, which is the Bible verse that says, "I can do all things through Christ, who gives me strength."  We are often quoting this verse to our kids and especially Toby because God can give us the strength to do all He wants us to do!

Some of our signs said:
"Do, or do not, there is no try." (Yoda from Star Wars)
"May the Course be with you!" (Another Star Wars quote)
"Reach for the Stars, Run Hard."
"Thank you, NCH and Runners."...and many others.

My youngest sister Shauna also came with her family and ran the race with me - this would be her first half-marathon.  I tend to be pretty competitive, so my goal was to beat my previous time from last year.  Unfortunately, it seemed there were a lot of obstacles to this - I had been fighting illness and chest pain from a very stressful week (preparing for Toby's upcoming surgery two days after the race), fatigue, two nights of interrupted sleep, less training than last year because of time constraints, but God truly gave Shauna and I the strength to finish strong.

The day of the race was chilly.  I was so thankful for Bruce, my mom (my dad couldn't make it because of his work schedule - such a bummer) and Bruce's parents as they were able to get the kids ready to leave the house by 6:15 a.m. to make it to the mile before the roads began to close.  As you'll see in the progression of the photos - it was quite dark when they arrived!  Many friends and family came out, braved the cold and even brought their kids to join with Toby in cheering.




Bruce said Toby loved it, and they counted he probably gave out about 1,000 high-fives.  People stopped to give him notes, flowers, and hugs too.  I stopped and kissed him and the other kids on my way by.  He was our half-way point, and it really helped us to stay motivated till the very end. 


In the end, Shauna and I finished strong.  We kept each other going, even stopping for a potty break and lots of high-fives along the way, we beat my time from last year by over a minute (under the 2 hour mark).  I know that it wasn't me, it was God giving us the strength to get through.


At one point I saw this verse on other runners' shirts: "Hebrews 6:19 - We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure..."  Awesome reminder of the hope that we have in Jesus Christ.  He has been our anchor through so many trials.

My sister Lynsey also sent me an e-mail reminding me of these verses:

“Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us RUN with ENDURANCE the RACE set before us, fixing our eyes Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”  Hebrews 12: 1-3

She reminded me of how training for the race, also had prepared me for Toby's surgery two days later - and the marathon we are running in life.  We do not have to grow weary and lose heart because our hope/anchor is in HIM - fixing our eyes on Jesus!

Thank you to everyone who donated, participated, prayed, and made Sunday such a special day. 


1 comment:

  1. Way to go. What an awesome opportunity!! So thankful you have such an amazing support network in Columbus.

    ReplyDelete