Sunday, November 18, 2012

My Mom - A Tribute!

I know that in writing this blog post, I'm probably going to embarrass her, but I just have to post it, and hope she'll forgive me later.  :)

Today, I need to write about my mom.  I am the oldest of three girls, and growing up I was a pretty independent, strong-willed, want my own way kind of kid.  I've always been headstrong, and when an idea gets into my head, it's pretty hard to change my mind.  (Hmmm..after typing that I realize where Caris gets it).

Between my mom and my two sisters, we have always had a close relationship.  Oh sure, we locked horns during the teenage years, I really liked to argue and be in charge.  Mom was always reminding me that she was the mother NOT me!  However, one of the biggest reasons why our relationship has withstood through the years has been just that - our parents taught us how to have open honest relationships - not perfect - but real.  They taught us how to be real with God, how to build our lives on the truth of God's word, and how to relate to each other.  My mom was always there, willing to talk, never too busy to sit in our room at night and discuss all of our triumphs, joys, and sorrows.

My mom is one of the most self-less people I know.  Through the births of all of our babies, she's been there.  Sometimes speeding through the 270 mile-trip to make it to the hospital just in time.  If mom's coming for a stay, you can count on the fact that she will cook, clean, do laundry, and clean - did I mention that my house is always clean when she leaves?  She's a gem!

After Toby was born, it was evident that we would need help more than ever.  He was in the hospital almost the first three months of his life, and my parents were there - either caring for Conor and Garrett at our house or taking them home to Michigan.  So, over the last month with both of Toby's surgeries, my mom has come again.  It was especially difficult this week because not only was Toby in the hospital, but both of my grandfathers have been in the hospital.  My Grandpa Fabian (my dad's father) had a major back surgery October 22nd, and my Grandpa MacGillivray (my mom's father) had his hip/knee replaced in two separate surgeries after the titanium rod just broke in two a few weeks ago.  Both of them have had a really rough road, and I can't imagine how hard it was for my mom to leave them to come to Ohio to help us.

I appreciate her help more than I can ever express.  Even though, we always have plenty of offers to help with the kids while Toby's in the hospital, it's hard to take up the offers when it would mean organizing dozens of people at various times, remembering who is supposed to be where and when while we stay at the hospital with Toby.  With my mom coming down, she's able to stay - keep the kids on their consistent schedule, and help maintain their normal lives - practice, homework, school lunches, etc.   One goal I've always had through this journey has been to keep things at home as peaceful as possible with the other children, so they aren't affected as much by the upheaval.  My mom allows us to do that.

She's had to give up a lot - change around her work schedule, although flexible, it means doubling up on her jobs in different weeks.  She gives up time with her husband, spending money on gas to travel, missing time with her own church activities to help us, and this time she's also been needed by my grandmothers to help them.

And this is the point where the tears begin to fall....If I could describe her, I would have to say:

Selfless, Loyal, Faithful, Servant, Loving, Kind, Full of wisdom...and the list goes.

She's an example to us and so many others of the Proverbs 31 woman: (vs. 25, 26, 28a, 30)

"Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come.  She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.  Her children rise up and call her blessed...Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."  


I know I can call her for advice, she always listens when I need her, and sometimes just need to vent.  She also has amazing wisdom - someone that is willing to give me parenting advice in gentle ways, without being judgmental.  I appreciate her wisdom and the loving way she imparts it.

My only desire is that I can be a mother just like her, and I fall so short.

Looking back over the years, I can also see God's provision in an amazing way.  My parents were really young when they were married (really young) - facing an unexpected pregnancy they had many options, and yet they chose life, marriage, and then chose God.  I was that unexpected baby, and I'm so thankful they chose life.  They've been married 35 years, and though it hasn't been easy, they have allowed God to mold, break, cleanse, and change them - not willing to be stuck in their ways - but used by God - clay in the Potter's hands.

A few months ago it hit me that even in the middle of hard circumstances 35 years ago, God was making provision.  He knew that I would need young parents to help us during these times with Toby - to have energy to play with our kids, run them to practice, and help take care of us.  I'm so thankful that indeed "All things work together to those who love God."  He can take any circumstance and use it for His glory.

So, Saturday, Nov. 24th is my mom's birthday - and in a way to honor her, I write this post.  Thank you mom for all you've done, for all you do, and all you are.  I honestly do not know what I would do without you - and am so thankful to God that He gave me such awesome provision in your servant's heart.  I love you, and pray that God will use me in the lives of my husband, children, and others to bless them the way you have blessed us.  My prayer is that I will be able to imitate you in some small way.  Happy Birthday - I love you.

1 comment:

  1. I'm crying reading this. It is SO true! Thanks for writing it. It expresses exactly what I think, know and feel. Love you sis and Love you MOM!

    ReplyDelete