Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A New School Year


It's the beginning of a new school year and of course the summer went so incredibly fast.  Conor started second grade, Garrett started kindergarten, and Toby began preschool.  I certainly have not felt very ready; I've enjoyed having my kids home this summer, doing things together and not having a set schedule to rush here and there and everywhere.  The start of the school year starts a very busy schedule that consists of getting Conor to his bus stop, Garrett to his school, and then Toby will be picked up at the house by his bus.  All 3 kids are at different schools.  For now, Toby is only going two mornings a week because of his therapy schedule, doctors' appointments, and because we need to see how his body will hold up to school (i.e. not getting sick from the other kids, etc.).  I will admit that as emotional as a person I can be sometimes, I did not cry one tear when Conor or Garrett started kindergarten.  I'm not sure if it's because they seem so independent, so ready, and my excitement for them to begin this journey overshadowed the emotions of realizing they are growing up, but it's been a different story for Toby.  Maybe it's because he's only 3 years old, he's in preschool, or all the stuff we've been through to get him to this point.  I think some of it is his vulnerability, the realization that I can't be there to protect him or the fact that just 3 1/2 years ago, we weren't sure he would live to see this day.  So, I've been pretty emotional these past few days, and especially this morning realizing that he's grown up so fast and he's come so far.  He cried when the bus driver put his wheelchair on the lift, but several minutes later, I got a text from his nurse that said he's watching all the other kids cry and just enjoying the bus ride.  I can't wait until he gets home, and tells me all about his day!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Carrie, we'll soon be going down that road too. It makes me sad just thinking about it! It's a big step for our kids but one they need to take. I know I'm looking forward for Nate to have some more interaction with other kids but so NOT looking forward to my baby growing up. Your boys are so cute! And I think Nate has the same shirt Toby is wearing! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just want to give your kiddos a big hug... especially Toby! :) What a great family!
    we have a blog too... www.brianjen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete