Wednesday, December 8, 2010

New Christmas Traditions

I am going to go ahead and post twice in the same day, only because I wanted to share something new I'm trying this year.  I can't take credit for it, I borrowed the idea from my friend Cassie, who also borrowed the idea from another mom she knows!  Both of these fellow moms have children with Spina Bifida, and Cassie (although she lives in Texas) is a dear friend, and we've actually had the opportunity to meet once.
Anyway - we started the idea late, but I decided to also do an Advent celebration, and each day the kids open a wrapped present box and do an activity that is written inside.  I wanted to get a Advent calendar type box with doors that open (like Cassie's), but couldn't find one this year that wasn't falling apart.  So I wrapped my own presents, and the kids have been opening them. 
Dec. 5th - we decorated the Christmas tree and went to Toby's "A Kid Again" party.
Dec. 6th - we made our own Christmas ornaments out of paper and are putting them on our "Jesus Is" Christmas tree. The ornaments say something about who Jesus is..

Dec. 7th - the kids ate a special frosted Christmas cookie - the kind that are extra thick with frosting from the store
Dec. 8th - today (thanks to my sister Shauna) we made Applesauce Cinnamon Christmas ornaments







What you don't see is that in between some of this time, I was rolling out dough and doing some of them myself as the boys ran around playing, and our nurse was getting Toby ready for bed.  We had a few glitches, and when the recipe says roll out the dough in between plastic wrap - DON'T use waxed paper instead - there's a reason to follow the recipe...

1 comment:

  1. not sure where i have been, but didn't know that you have blog :). we do something like this at our house. each day has a bible verse and then a gift, treat, activity to go along with the verse. simple wraping, they are all in paper lunch sacks.

    ReplyDelete