Friday, August 19, 2011

In Sickness and In Health

Today is Bruce and I's eleventh wedding anniversary.  It's also Bruce's birthday.  We did marry on his birthday and to answer the question everyone always asks, "No, it was not so he wouldn't forget our anniversary."  He doesn't forget things like that - truly he doesn't, it just ended up being the perfect date.  The day isn't exactly going as planned - Caris is sick with coughing and wheezing, and we took turns being up with her all night.  He did get to play golf this morning; we often have the fun discussion of how we will celebrate this fine day with "Well, it's my anniversary and well, it's my birthday!"  I had my whole morning planned to run errands - buy the perfect cards (no, I have NOT bought a birthday or an anniversary card yet - who wants to drag 4 kids into Hallmark!), get a cake, buy wrapping paper, and spend some time relaxing with the kids before our date tonight.  Instead I dragged Caris and myself out of bed at 6:45 a.m. to watch cartoons with a bucket in my lap hoping to catch her vomit (she's coughing so hard from the phlegm).

Little did I know that 11 years ago when we said our vows, "in sickness and in health" would pertain more to our kids than ourselves, at least at this point!.  Between Toby's special needs, twelve surgeries total between two of our kids, three in glasses, and recently Caris' upper respiratory issues (or asthma - they did put her on Pulmicort today), it certainly has tested our faith!  Through it all, I am thankful to God that I married my best friend and he is the only person I would want by my side through these mountains and valleys.  He keeps me sane when I'm panickingl, he has me laughing when I cry, and he's the love of my life.  I love the quote from a book in the At Home in Mitford series by Jan Karon - a character named Billy Watson is married to Rose, his schizophrenic wife, and the main character asks him why he's stuck with her all these years, he says something like, "I gave her my word, don't ya know."  We gave each other our word and that's that!

Jut a bit ago, Bruce tore apart the car seat that is filled with vomit from our ride home from Caris doctor's appointment.  We had enough time to squeeze in some present exchanging - complete with his present wrapped in a cardboard box and a brown paper sack with no card (that's the Fabian way!).  Then we cleaned out the car seat, he took a shower, and he's off again to see a movie with Conor and Garrett.  I am ready for a nap after only three hours of sleep.  At the risk of shedding a few tear over the day not turning out the way I planned, I'll relate what his anniversary card said because it sums up today perfectly:

"Real love takes more than flowers
and beautiful words
It means keeping promises,
holding on when it's difficult
and supporting each other 
And despite the passage of time and change,
your love remains
quietly in the midst of it all
forever alive and real
forever beautiful."

Happy Anniversary to my sweetheart - I love you with all my heart! 


No comments:

Post a Comment