Monday, September 3, 2012

Riding This Roller Coaster Again

We are riding the roller coaster of whether or not we will lose our nursing hours yet again.  Didn't we just go through this in March?

Friday morning I received a call from a new nurse case manager at our insurance leaving a message that effective tomorrow (Saturday 9/1/12) (this was about 14 hours later) our nursing hours would be cut from 16 a day down to 12 a day.

Oh the emotions started rolling, the panic, the fear and tears.  I realize that this just doesn't affect me, it also affects our nurses - they lose a patient to care for. How in the world are we going to divide up those hours between day and nights shifts?  How do I choose?
So, long story short, Bruce was able to get an extension of one week from insurance to allow us to appeal the decision yet again. We have a back-up with Toby's waiver, which should provide nursing care in the event that insurance doesn't, BUT...and here's the big BUT - we have to prove to the state that insurance denied coverage and all appeals have been exhausted.  Then, we have to wait for someone to make a decision of yay or nay.  If nay, then we can appeal to the state through a hearing.  If you're getting my drift - you are understanding that this is the biggest headache.  

Friday, I was so frustrated because I spent almost 5 hours total on the phone calling various parties involved trying to figure out what to do next.  It took so much time away from my kids (grrr...frustrating).  Did I mention that we went away for Labor Day weekend and I still had to pack for a family of 6, plus all of Toby's medical equipment and up until 3 p.m. on Friday - I hadn't packed a stitch of clothing.

What happens next? 

Bottom line - some time this week our doctor will hopefully get in touch with the medical director from insurance to do a peer to peer review.  This is step one for the appeal.  If insurance decides against then we appeal to the state.  In the meantime we have to abide by the 12 hours a day.  

Please pray for us - if this is God's will for us to have less hours, I'm trying to accept that, trusting that He has a plan.  When I think about the day to day, I have no idea how we will manage, but He is sufficient, so I choose to trust in Him and not insurance or the state.   Trying to trust, even though it's so hard...

No comments:

Post a Comment